Sunday, June 14, 2009

This much.

Today at church, a speaker with a particularly inspiring story came to tell us about her experiences. And it made me realise something that I had always heard and kind of known but not really thought about or understood, even in any small part - 'Jesus loves you'. It's the thing that you see on Sunday School posters or hokey signs, that you become desensitised to. Or that's what I became anyway. Cliches are almost always based in truth - and this is one of them. Jesus does love you. Think of the person you most love, and then put it to the power of about a gazillion. That's probably not enough. I can't really grasp how enormous His love is, but even in my lack of understanding, just realising that He does love me, is enough - it's amazing. I mean far out. He's the frickin creator of the universe, and He cares about us??? Not just an arbitrary glance every now and then when He can get around to it, or even a kind of 'this is my fairly alright creation which has managed to screw itself up but whatever I still think it's interesting' attitude. And something else the speaker said - nothing you do can make Him love you any less. Similarly, nothing you do can increase His love for you. (how do you increase infinity anyway?) So even if you don't follow what He has in plan for you, it's not going to make Him hate you, only, you will have missed out on something pretty damn awesome, so you don't need to feel like a criminal (although we are). If you think you've done exactly what He's told you to, followed every rule almost always, etc etc, there's also no reason to become smug in your ways. There's no excuse, really, because it's not what we've done that we can be proud of, because we'll always fail in some way. BUT THAT'S OK BECAUSE IT WON'T MAKE HIM HATE US. Or even love us less!

HOW AWESOME IS THAT. I THINK IT IS AWESOME. I WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND TO YOU THE AWESOMENESS OF GOD BECAUSE HE'S EXTREMELY RAD AND EVEN TYPING IN ALL CAPS LOOKS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A PIECE OF LINT FROM THE DRYER, ONE OF THE REALLY SMALL ONES THAT ARE SUPER HARD TO GET OFF YOUR CLOTHES, TO GOD.

Apologies for yelling in your head :D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God doesn't exist.
/thread.

shaz. said...

She was amazing =)

Katie said...

lol thanks Anonymous, you're not particularly convincing :P

Melinda said...

I SO TOTALLY AGREE. ALSO, YAY FOR YELLING IN PEOPLE'S HEADS! *HIGHFIVE*

I think it's very true that when you hear something over and over you become desensitised to it. Which is why I'm super glad that God gives us experiences to realise anew how big and powerful and awesome He is, and how much He loves us!

Sounds like she was a pretty great speaker! :)