Saturday, June 6, 2009

Dancing

Something came to mind the other day - living as a Christian, or as someone who's on their way to becoming one, is a little bit like dancing. By dancing I don't mean the Aussie guy shuffle or random flailings, but something that has structure and set moves and meaning. God is the guy, we are the girl - His job is to lead, and ours is to follow and try our best to not screw up. It's possible to know very little about the moves and bumble your way along, but as the dance progresses, you can observe people who are more skilled than you and copy them, and do more justice to God's leading. Maybe you can then develop your own style - and the dance becomes yours. Maybe eventually it takes hardly a gesture or a step from Him for you to know what to do, maybe it becomes a conversation between the two of you. But if you want to show off your own moves, or if you have no idea what to do, you might go spinning off into the crowd and lose sight of your partner. Of course you can continue dancing by yourself, but then the dance loses a dimension. You might resist your partner's leading, if He wants you to do something that you don't - which can get you into all sorts of mess, maybe you trip over your own feet or someone else's or just overbalance and fall.

I'm not sure right now what my partner wants me to do, and although I'm trying to be open to anything, my own desires are getting in the way and I'm afraid that I'm being too stubborn to follow properly. I can see other people dancing so harmoniously that I get more confused, because what God wants me to do isn't necessarily the same as what He wants other people to do. I want to be able to dance with grace and humility and kindness.


(Sorry for the extended metaphor, it was a bit lame <_>;; )

6 comments:

Elaine said...

Wow...that's actually a lovely metaphor, I never thought about it that way before :) So I don't think it's lame! *thumbs up* XD

Mmm - one thing I do want to point out, though, is that probably half the people you see 'dancing harmoniously' aren't actually. So don't feel so confused, each person has their own struggles and 'dance' I guess :) Keep praying! <3 See you tomorrowwwww lovely wifeeee

Melinda said...

(It's minda, btw. :D)

Not a lame metaphor at all! It's clever and I like it. And of course dancing goes so much more smoothly if you trust in your partner's leading. Wish it was easier to do that in practice!

<3!

Josh said...

i think most of us are unco dancers :O

shaz. said...

Wowww.

I agree with everyone else, lovely metaphor! =D

Unknown said...

Good metaphor Katie. As an unco dancer of many years I can say don't give up. Sometimes we miss the beat of the music even but while we remain on the 'dance floor' trying it is never hopeless. Also, don't assume that your desires are automatically opposed to God's, unless you're thinking of major crime of course.

Katie said...

Hooray for having two left feet and a half-formed north one :D