Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Children/Adults

Ok just had to administer some intense damage control then. Dad's overseas so Mum has to do all this stuff on her own, including looking after her own parents and also Popo (Dad's mum) and Guche (Dad's sister) and her son Timmy pretty much as well as us, so she has a big job. She doesn't get mad too much but when she does, she goes there all the way. No half-arsed blowouts. The thing that gets me most when she does blow her top is that she becomes really, really unreasonable. She says things over and over and when you can't come up with a new, innovative way to answer it, she gets mad at you for that. Then moves the topic onto some other random thing, and you just can't stop the flow. And it made me think that, even the adults I respect and look up to most can act like children sometimes. Today she slammed the door in my face when I suggested that talking behind people's backs when you know they can hear you might not feel so good for them. Even I, the most juvenile of people most of the time, haven't done that. I think that the best thing to do, at least for Mum, is to DEFINITELY NOT TRY TO GO AWAY AND LET THEM COOL DOWN although that's what I would like in her situation. For Mum, the best thing to do is to show her love. To tell her, in a low, soothing voice (lol) that we're sorry and we make mistakes and that we're just not good at this being good children thing, which is true. Lying will just make it worse. Then once she's calmed down go give her a hug.

I guess I don't really understand because I never really yell at people, except Ben and Hsieh (sorry guys!!! I know I'm bad at this and you totally don't deserve it nearly every time >.<) and I'm trying to not do that because it's just silly! I tend to shut up, walk away, then either fume to myself, this blog, or the dogs, work it out and try to see it from their perspective, then go and say hey can you do this a different way, or say nothing at all. The latter probably is a really stupid thing to do because it doesn't change anything. When it's something that really matters, I usually don't get angry, I get sad instead, or I get super super mad/frustrated/despairing at myself. Sadness is good in a way because it doesn't hurt the other person, which is why I'd prefer to be sad rather than angry, but it's also a passive emotion - it doesn't get anything done, and if you let it go too far you start to do this whole stupid self pity thing which is SO LAME. It's cyclic and has pointy teeth that it likes to nip you with at random times and you're like oh sorry peeps, gotta go mope for a bit, brb. /you get into a rhythm of feeling like crap at a certain time when you know you're not going to be around people. It's really lame. Don't do it. JUST SAY NO.

Well whatever. I went to see Patricia's concert AND IT WAS AMAZING I WANT TO BE LIKE HER WHEN I GROW UP. maaaaaan. She's so awesome. And when I went to congratulate her afterwards she got in first and the first thing she said to me was, Katie your recording was great!! Seriously. Who does that. She just pulled off an incredible concert and you don't even say, 'did you like it?'. SELFLESS TO THE EXTREME CUBED. She was giving a talk to the MOST (musically outstanding students t-something) kids on Monday night and she asked me to play a bit of Bach to them which I did and it was reaaaally weird. It was in the dining room so it was kinda like playing to kids at camp when they're tired/hungry. They were a really good audience but I still got super nervous!! haha. AND THEN IT WAS FONDUE NIGHT AND WE ATE LOTS OF CHOCOLATES AND WATCHED ENCHANTED AND IT WAS AWESOME.

<3 you girls!!!!

So-La tour on Sunday, yay can't wait!!! :D:D:D

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Oh dear, damage control! Do your best lovely wifeeeee <3 And omg omg tell tell how tour went when you get back!!! :D

CHOCOLATE IS AWESOME. FIN XD